Tuesday 1 November 2011

Chocolate Mulled Wine

I found this recipe, in amongst various things I'd torn out of a magazine one Christmas past. It answered my question: "should I serve hot chocolate or booze (to the grown ups)?" for a Trick or Treating treasure hunt extravaganza that we were staging in our garden (for the children). It came from Delicious magazine and was written by Laura Santini. I really can't impress on you how very good it is. Even my partner - a wine expert and hater of mulled wine - got all knee-buckly about it.

This apparently serves six but there was four of us and we managed quite nicely...

750ml red wine
1 cinnamon stick
1 large dried red chilli (I didn't have one so I used some chilli flakes)
1tsp ground spice
5 whole cloves
100g caster sugar
50g Venezuelan Black chocolate, 100% cocoa - grated*

*if you've never grated 100% cocoa chocolate, be warned: it's very brittle/dry and it goes EVERYWHERE. I wouldn't personally recommend grating it, but instead, scraping it off with a sharp knife.

This is what you do:

Put the wine and spices in a saucepan and warm slowly, over a very low heat. Then, add the sugar and stir until dissolved.

Add the chocolate and warm through. I used one of those Aerolatte whizzer things to homogenize it as it had a tendency to go a bit 'speckedly' with the chocolate. You can either then strain and serve, or strain and chill until you need it (it says it'll keep for two days), then warm it up again and serve.

I really don't plan to make mulled wine any other way now. And look: 100% cocoa is terrifically good for you, so this is practically a health drink.

I wish I had a really arty photo to show you, but not long after I made this I bashed my nose (really badly) on the children's playhouse roof, bending down to relight a lantern, so I was a bit out of it for the rest of Hallowe'en to take a pic. Next time. For there will be a next time very soon..





1 comment:

Sven Ellis said...

Thanks, it really is very good. Forewarned, I used a drum grater and a large plate for the chocolate. I might have been happy with a fraction less chocolate, but that would have been very much a minority view.